Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Kidney Stone Birth Story

Last week I gave birth to a rather large kidney stone. Not large enough to have blasted, but large enough to cause me to feel like I was going to die! I woke up last Tuesday morning feeling nauseated and sick to my stomach. I did my best to get the girls ready for school and to get myself ready to go to run an errand. Grady had to take the girls and well, I ran my errand and left a nice surprise for them in the the bathroom:(

I went home and quickly nursed Emmaline to sleep and fell asleep myself in bed. Grady tried to talk me into going to the doctor. I refused. I didn't want to get sick again in the car and thought I could sleep it off before having to get the girls from school. Well, I didn't sleep it off. I came downstairs to see the girls (Grady had to pick them up) and I began to feel really sick again. Grady was on a conference call when I began yelling to him from the living room. When I got no response from him I did my best to get upstairs as to be as comfortable as possible while throwing up. I had one baby in tow and two toddlers following close behind. It's not fun being sick, on the bathroom floor with a one year old hanging off my back! Actually, it's quite miserable!!!

While I was laying in the bathroom floor trying to get up, Grady came to my rescue. He closed the doors to our bathroom to keep Eden and Evie in our bedroom. I then realized that something was really wrong. It could not be a stomach bug. I was in too much pain. I tried to call my family physician but they were not taking any more patients for the day. Grady's mom came over and we headed to the ER.

The registration nurse took my vitals once we arrived. She mentioned kidney stones. I had never had a kidney stone but my step dad had them frequently years ago. She sat me back in the waiting room. I got so sick that they took me back quickly, gave me some dilaudad and took me for a CT scan.

A kidney stone was my diagnosis. They sent me home with meds and a barf bucket. I was so drugged that I don't remember the ride home or much of anything else that night. I woke up the next morning and passed the stone at about 9 a.m. Whew!

Okay. So, it was exactly six weeks to the day after having Emmaline that I delivered my first kidney stone. It was huge! I mean like eight pen points put together, really rough, and stone-ish. I have to say it was more painful than laboring for twelve hours and naturally delivering Emmaline (who was like a million billion pen points put together). I have never experienced so much pain and I hope that I never have to again!

No comments:

Post a Comment