Monday, January 31, 2011

Allergies and Almighty

Evie has never liked peanut butter. I introduced peanut butter and jelly to her a year ago and she refused it. Peanut butter crackers are spit out onto the floor when she detects their flavor. I didn't really think much about it until 3 weeks ago.

Evie, Eden, and the cousins spend Thursdays with Gigi. As we were leaving hat Thursday, my mom threw some haystacks that she had made in a bag to take home. I gave Evie a pinch off one to eat before getting into the car. When we got home she went into what I thought was a 2 year tantrum. It turned out to be an allergic reaction to the peanut that she ate in the haystack. I took her to the ER where they gave her an oral dose of prednisone. It was a scary night.

Today I took her to see the chiropractor Grady and his family have been seeing for years. He did odd testing for allergens and she tested positive for peanuts, peanut butter, gluten, and eggs. It is so interesting to me to look back on her short life and see how she has always rejected these foods. The doctor today said that usually you crave the foods in which you have allergens. But I heard that young chrildren get a burning sensation when they eat foods that cause reactions. We go back in two weeks to make sure the drios which were formulated are neutralizing her system.

And here is how the Almighty comes in. I am reading through my chronological Bible with the women at my church. I love it. I started doing this years ago. After finishing the story of Joseph and his exile to Egypt today my view of God grew a little. Maybe it grew a lot. God told Joseph early in life that his family would bow to him. God never revealed to him why they would bow or in which year they would look to Joseph in a way king's men look to a king. This story is my favorite in all the Bible! Here,in the first book of the Bible, is a prototype of Christ. It is a picture of what Jesus has done for me. The Scriptures in the Psalms point to the greatness, the power, the grandeur of the Lord. I used to see God seated on a throne as big as my dining room chair. Because of this story and a few other works in my life as of late, I'm beginning to imagine God's head as big as the earth. I'm thankful for this growth. In a weird way, I think it's a measure of how I am growing in my faith. Joseph's life was not controlled by the evil intent of his brothers nor out of the haughtiness in sharing his dreams prematurely with his brothers. Instead, God controlled every twist and turn in the life of Joseph to make His head seem as big as the earth itself...

No comments:

Post a Comment